This recipe is adapted from Julia Child and Jacques Pépin, as seen on “Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home”. If you are a Hulu Plus subscriber, you can view the episode here:
I made some changes to the recipe to suit my own taste, so this is a slightly different version from what is found on the TV show.
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1 lemon, medium-size
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2.5 cups fresh cranberries (one 12-ounce bag)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and core the apple, then cut into small chunks (should be about 1.5 cups)
- Using a lemon zester, take the zest from 1 lemon, then juice the lemon.
- Pour the orange juice and cranberries into a sturdy 2 or 3-quart saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir all together.
- Cover the pan and bring to the boil over high heat.
- Stir the ingredients, reduce the heat to medium, and cook covered for about 10 minutes, until all the cranberries have burst. Uncover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, until the chutney is thick.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. The Chutney will keep in the refrigerator several weeks, or longer if you freeze it.